The next stage

We’re in a strange season here in Colorado. Winter isn’t quite over, but Spring is fighting its way into existence. One day it will be in the 20’s or 30’s, snowing so hard that you can’t see more than a foot in front of you, but the next day it will be in the mid to high 60’s. It’s strange, but it gets us a jump on watering our lawn for the summer. Plus, you get really neat images like this one:

The snow that covered the skylight just a few hours before is now melting.

As the seasons change, so do the kittens. Unfortunately, Charge got sick, but her babies have been surviving well despite the exposure to a pretty rotten URI. I’ve been bottle feeding for at least four days now. The smaller kitten, Quark, has an eye infection, but antibiotic drops are making a big difference. The larger kitten, Neutrino, has no signs of his mother’s illness. In fact, both boys started walking today! They have crawled out of the nest before, right when their mother got really sick and couldn’t feed them. Kittens that small just don’t leave the nest unless they are hungry or neglected – it keeps them safe from predation. When they leave their nest in search of care, the little guys cry in such a way that anyone with even the faintest mothering instinct can tell that something is wrong. Today’s outing was different. They see me as “the other mommy” now – they purr for me, which doesn’t happen when the little ones are dependent on their mother. The kittens also come out of their nest to see me, hoping I’ve brought the bottle. I had not warmed a bottle for the babies when I went in to see them last, but I had filled a syringe with food for their ailing mother. While I fed her (she had to breathe between bites of food, so it took a long time), the boys just explored their world. They tried their rubbery little legs, leaning against my foot to stand up. After a few wobbly steps, they would fall over, frustrated and shaking from the exertion. They sniffed the food bowls and climbed into their litter box. They walked toward Michael and me in search of the elusive bottle. They licked mushy droppings from the syringe off of the floor. Those boys will be honest-to-goodness kittens soon!

As for the yarn side of things, I’ve also moved on to a new stage in the hand spun baby blanket.

I finished spinning all the yarn ,

ending with the light blue and undyed wool .

I began knitting the Moderne Baby Blanket (Ravelry Link), first with the green, then adding the blue.

The blanket looks a little uneven in the picture, but I assure you that in real life it is just fine. I think that attaching the new color distorts the work a bit, but as I add more sections, the green square will be pulled equally around, making it appear even again.

I noticed as I knit with my freshly spun yarn that it looks store bought for some stretches. Don’t get me wrong – it’s still a little thick-and-thin, but I am really happy with the way my yarns turned out. I hope I have some left when I finish the blanket so I can give it to Sara to play with!

I mentioned my observation to Michael while we were watching TV.

Me – “Look at this – it looks like real yarn!”

Michael – “That’s because it is real yarn.”

It looks like all that practice is paying off!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s