Painting Takes Forever

I know, I’ve been gone for a long time. Longer than I’ve ever been gone before. It’s reprehensible, and I’m deeply sorry. Several of my regular readers have “spoken” to me on this subject. I do have a good excuse – several, actually.

  1. My blog is called “Knittin’ and Kittens.” I have had very little time to knit or crochet, so I really had none of that to speak of. Although I have called several shelters and rescue groups, I have heard back from none of them, so I have no kittens either. I’m a bit shocked by that, actually.
  2. I’ve been doing lots of home improvement (I’ll expound on that in a moment).
  3. I’ve had about 1 billion appointments with contractors and such.
  4. I’ve had to do A LOT of shopping for the house. P.S. I am actually sick of shopping. Holy cow.
  5. My cats have had several vet appointments in the last month.

So, I’ve really had all my time occupied, but not with anything that my general readership might be interested in. Well, I guess some might be interested, but these things have very little to do with yarn craft or kittens.

Sara (of the comments) asked me about the bathroom project. Well…

mixing-mortarWe mixed the mortar (to be placed under the backer board) with the drill. The drill started to smoke, so at some point I had to resort to mixing by hand. I guess the drill just didn’t have enough power for the project.

putting-mortar-on-floorWe laid the backer board on the level bathroom floor after putting the mortar down and combing it appropriately; however, for some reason the backer board was not level after we laid it down. There is a 1/4 inch difference between the height of 2 of the boards, actually. At this point, I figured I didn’t have enough skill to actually do this project, and we called a professional to finish. I can’t tell if I put too much mortar under one of the boards or if Michael didn’t screw it in tight enough. There’s also a bit when we realized that our level tells a different story depending on what side it’s laid on. It’s frustrating, really. Either way, the bathroom should be professionally done on Monday.

We didn’t need a permit to add the heated floors after all. The contractors who are finishing the floor can put the heated mats in without installing a new circuit, so no need for a permit. The catch is that you can’t run a big hair dryer in the bathroom without tripping the circuit if we install it this way. Since I am just keeping kittens in that room, I figured it would not really be an issue while I am using it. Later, we can have that bathroom rewired before we finish the basement (years down the road for that one), so it will not be a problem when/if we have to sell the house.

wrong-wallAfter giving up on that bathroom, I moved on to painting the rest of the house. Vickie came down from her place in Wyoming to help me paint the living room. It was really nice to catch up with my old friend from middle school. Besides a mix-up where Vickie accidentally painted a wall green when it should have been neutral (it was funny, just like you might see on Color Splash), it went really well and I pleased with the result. I just have to touch up some spots (and organize the room so I don’t look like I live like a pig, even if I do), then I’ll take a picture of the finished room. One room down, the whole rest of the house to go. <Sigh>

(click to enlarge the picture)

I’ve only been able to paint every other day (roughly) due to other things we’ve got going on and because painting is exhausting. I can only get through 1 gallon of paint per day on my own, and I can only sit on the sofa after I’ve done a room. This is going to be slow, but I think it will be worth it. They make it look so quick and easy on TV.

On an almost unrelated note, I’ve seen the most amazing weather here. On Monday morning I woke up and looked through the window in my closet, only to see the back yard covered in a white blanket of snow. snow-yard

I had an appointment with a contractor that morning, so I was a little concerned. Upon closer inspection, I learned that the layer of snow was not that deep – maybe and inch on the driveway. The snow had stopped falling by that point, so I was not so concerned. I shoveled the driveway in 15 minutes (partly because I had to sneak out and do it before Michael woke up – he doesn’t let me do manual labor), and we were on the road shortly after.

On the way to the appointment, the snow started to come down again, getting harder as time passed. Michael couldn’t drive because his new snow boots weren’t flexible enough to push the pedal. You may recall that I hate to drive. I have not lived in a part of the country that snows since I started getting behind the wheel. I learned something that day, though. I saw several people driving around with a huge pile of snow on top of their cars. Folks, this is dangerous. On several occasions, that snow blew off the top of the cars onto other cars – if it landed on someone’s windshield, he wouldn’t be able to see. Man, how scary! One guy had to pull over because the snow slid down onto his own windshield. I will never drive my car in the future unless I have scraped the snow from both the windshield and the top of the car. <shiver> Safety first.

The thing is, the weather reporters had no idea this snow was coming. That, however, wasn’t the weird part. By the end of the day, my yard went from the winter wonder land pictured above to this:

melted can you believe that? The grass was even greener than the day before.


So, in general, I have been surviving and trying to find time to do something related to this blog. I am not sure if I will get kittens soon because Carisa is coming to see me on Tuesday, then I am going to Kansas to see my brother for Memorial Day. After that, we are going on a big trip that I thought was never going to happen. You see, I promised my brother I would take him to Hawai’i this year. After we made the plans, he was informed that he was to be shipped off to Iraq. I moved and bought a house, so we all figured that it just wasn’t the right time. However, 2 miracles happened. First, Robert was reassigned. He is moving back to California instead of being shipped out (I’m thrilled, he isn’t so sure). Second, buying a house and moving out here turned out to be cheaper than our lives in the city, so we could afford the trip. So, in June I am taking my brother and his wife on a cruise through the Hawaiian islands! We are terribly excited, but it does mean that I may either not get kittens until we get back or I will only have short term fosters. If I am honest with myself, I shouldn’t get kittens until I am done painting and moving in. I just miss them, that’s all.

I will be in and out in the next few weeks, maybe the next few months. I do not mean to abandon you, my loyal readers. I just didn’t think you’d be interested in what was going on now. I was incredibly wrong, and I will work to rectify that mistake. Please forgive me.


One thought on “Painting Takes Forever

  1. When I come out, maybe we can go to the shelter again, and find you some short-term kittens so you can have them before your big trip!

    Besides, I think you’ve been working hard enough on the house to reward yourself with some kitten love. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s