/\__/\__/\__/\_ (Beep…Beep…Beep)

It’s like someone is recovering from surgery. I’m waiting. I can practically hear the heart monitor with its rhythmic beep…beep…beep.

Last night I was the surgeon. The only seaming that needs to be done in this pattern is a small seam in the underarm on each side. So here’s the problem I mentioned in a previous post:

In the pattern at the end of the section for the body it says:

“Work 16 rows of Cable Pattern until work measures 13 [13.5, 14, 14.5, 15, 15.5] inches. IMPORTANT: Take note of which pattern round you end on, and write it down! The sleeves will have to end on the same pattern round.

Ok, I did that.

Again, at the end of the sleeve section it reads:

IMPORTANT: Make sure you end with the same patt round the body ended with. This is much more important than the sleeves being the right length, as it will ensure that the cable patt flows smoothly into the yoke of the sweater.

I did that, too. The pattern implies you can finish anywhere in the 16 round repeat and it should work out. Well, it didn’t. I finished on round 16 of the pattern repeat. I counted the stitches properly and the top part of the sleeve did join seamlessly with the body of the sweater. I didn’t suspect anything was wrong at that point.

When I looked at the area that needed to be joined, though, I found a huge problem.

You see, there should be matching knits and purls at the top and bottom of this seam; however, this is not the case. If you look from right to left (because that is how knitting and crocheting work, right to left), on the top it looks like: kkppppkkpppp. On the bottom it reads: pppkkppppkk.

Put them on top of one another:

kkppppkkpppp
pppkkppppkkp

It doesn’t work out! It’s like DNA with mismatched nucleotide bases. Instead of matching up A’s with T’s and C’s with G’s, you have A’s trying to get with G’s and T’s trying to bond with C’s! It’s anarchy! An unstable DNA structure. KABOOM!

I did my best to sew it up despite this. I used to be a type A knitter. If there was a mistake I woud rip that sucker out a million times to get it just right. I wasn’t above going in with scissors and chopping out the offending portion and reconstructing the area with a yarn needle and a length of yarn. While that did help me become proficinent in repairing knitting, it didn’t help me complete projects in a timely manner.

Even after the fudged sewing job, there were more problems. In this picture, you can see that the neckline is bigger than the body of the sweater.

I tried it on. Can you guess how I felt about it?

Once the surgical wound was closed, I had to get the patient to recovery. I washed it in preparation for blocking.

I placed the sweater/patient on the table and scrunched up the neckline, hoping that it would draw in a bit. All I can do now is wait. /\__/\__/\__/\_

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s